- Austin Spurs’ Head Coach McDonald signs contract extension
- Alumnus Watch: Jonathon Simmons named MVP of 2015 Summer League Championship Game
- Austin Spurs Alum Kyle Anderson named 2015 NBA Summer League MVP
- Some Austin Flavor In The All NBA D-League Teams
- Spurs Fall Short, Warriors Advance To D-League Finals
Reno Snaps Toros Win Streak Before Holiday Break
- Updated: December 20, 2010
The Toros hosted the Reno Bighorns for their first time this season. In a high effort high energy game the Bighorns came out on top with a nail-biting win, 93-89.
A familiar second generation basketball player battled foul trouble early in the game. That guy being Patrick Ewing Jr. Four minutes in to the second quarter Ewing was forced to sit until a few seconds were left before intermission. His three early fouls led to the Bighorns top scorer becoming the team’s biggest cheerleader. Ewing bounced back in the second half and finished the night with 16 points and 7 boards.
Both teams kept it close during the first half, with neither team gaining a lead greater than five points. The close game resulted in nine lead changes before the half. Cousin led all with 15 points and helped the Toros hold on to the lead at half, 50-47.
The game continued to be close in the second half and at the beginning of the fourth quarter it looked as if the Toros were going to provide their fans with a home win. Then with 5:21 left in regulation their 83-75 lead began to dwindle. DJ Strawberry’s trip to the charity stripe sparked an 18-6 Bighorns run. Strawberry’s layup with 1:39 gave Reno their first lead of the quarter, 88-87. Cousin’s freebies tied it up at 89 but it was not enough.
Though the Toros weren’t able to extend their win-streak they were able to provide their 3,393 fans in attendance 48 minutes of excitement. Players from both benches were quick to dive for loose balls and were aggressive for each of their 39 rebounds. During the final seconds of the game multiple players from both teams were diving on the floor in an attempt of a possession.
Other notables of the game:
- 7 of the last 18 points Reno scored were free throws. The last one being made with 1:39 left in the game.
- DJ Strawberry had a season high 33 points coming off the Reno bench
- Marcus Cousin notched another double-double (22 pts, 13 rebs)
- The Toros are now 1-4 when scoring less than 100 points.